It was only when Miss Drumms sister contacted British police directly to report her suspicions that the case was reopened in 2008 and prosecutors re-examined the death of Websters first wife. Of convicted murderer Malcolm Webster Biography, Age, Height, Physical,! Felicity Drumm. In 1999, he was accused of attempting to kill Felicity Drumm to fraudulently obtain 750,000 from nine insurance policies. Advocate Steven Borthwick, defending Webster, said he understood there were no assets. I took it upstairs and threw it on the wall.". Spending the rest of his life behind bars last couple & # x27 ; s longest-lasting single accused trial. Everybody else's life jackets were fine. He was previously probed for deaths of three children under his care at a children's hospital in the United Arab Emirates. Defence QC Edgar Prais argued that Webster was a liar, a philanderer and a thief, but not a killer. As for what those crimes were, in 1994 Webster killed his wife Claire Morris just one year after their wedding. Last time we saw Webster (Reece Shearsmith) murder his first wife in a staged car . [28], At the trial, Webster's estranged wife stated that on their honeymoon she had slept for 36 hours, after consuming a drink that her husband had given her, and on another occasion she had slept for 18 hours. She was good company. Webster tried to kill Ms Drumm, 50, to gain more than 750,000-worth of insurance money. Mr Drumm said he turned detective after being tipped-off about . Mr Morris . She later found nearly all of the 140,000 New Zealand dollars in the account had vanished. As for what those crimes were, in 1994 Webster killed his wife Claire Morris just one year after their wedding. Mr Chapman paid tribute to the dignity and courage shown by Morriss family, including her mother Betty. The father of a woman whose husband allegedly tried to kill her has told how he started to investigate his daughter's finances. Malcolm Webster: the true story of the murderer portrayed Respondent: _____ Appellant: Allan QC; Borthwick; Ms Forest; Drummond Miller . During the course of their marriage he drugged her with Temazepam. Oakley testified that on two occasions she had gone to voice her suspicions to consultant pathologist James Grieve, but had always stopped at the last minute. [51] It was reported in 2011, that Webster had been attacked by another inmate with a metal pole. Where do Palestinians stand on the war in Ukraine? On May 19 2011, a judge and jury convicted Malcolm Webster of the murder of his first wife in Scotland in 1994 and the attempted murder of his second wife in New Zealand. It also starred Sheridan Smith, Alex Fearns, John Hannah and Archie Panjabi. Then a fire broke out in the cottage, causing extensive damage. Auckland nurse Felicity Drumm, who was married to murderer Malcolm Webster, has told Nine To Noon a new tv series does not capture the charm he used to dupe women. In England, is on trial in Glasgow remote roads they married 1997. Cbeebies Schedule 2009, She also experienced double vision, and a blood test showed abnormalities with her liver. Malcolm Webster, 51, of Surrey, denies crashing a car in New Zealand in 1999 in a bid to kill Felicity Drumm, his second wife, to claim insurance money. Within six months he was forced to resign, following an investigation into the deaths of three children under his care. On Thursday, Webster was convicted of. If I continued to eat I felt drunk I would be staggering and needed help to walk. Experts say streaming giant will drop star when his MailOnline readers back Jeremy Clarkson to keep his job on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? But where is he now? Best Amp For 2 Rockford Fosgate P3 12, 19th May 2011, 8:51pm. Charles explained that Websters move to the seaside community of Oban was the beginning of his downfall. I have lost a sister, my dearest sister.. In a horrifying twist, Malcolm even drugged his new wife on their honeymoon. According to her testimony, Malcolm got out of the car and went to the boot, but repeatedly screamed at her to stay in the car. Ms Drumm, a New Zealand citizen, told the court she and Webster, whom she married in 1997, travelled to New Zealand from Scotland towards the end of 1998 with a view to setting up a permanent home there. He was furious when he came back. [7], Webster has been described as a "thief, liar and philanderer". During the search, the police seized a stolen laptop and an unlicensed gun, which Webster claimed was an antique. The mother of murdered Claire Morris has died "tormented" by the fact she will never know whether her daughter's killer will win his fight to clear his name. He said: The only prize I can give you is that you are excused for the rest of your lives as jurors., The judge also thanked the lawyers involved in the case, saying: It shows the very high standards of the Scottish Bar, the way this has been conducted.. MALCOLM JOHN WEBSTER. He is now in Shotts Prison, Lanarkshire, and has refused to accept his guilt. In 1994 he had drugged his new bride in Aberdeenshire and deliberately crashed their car before setting light to it. Unsurprisingly, perhaps, his vile actions have been the focus of an ITV dramatisation, and now a Channel 4 documentary. That moment in the forest was meant to be my last. Brian Drumm, 82, told the High Court in Glasgow the couple's joint bank account had been emptied. In his closing address to the jury, prosecutor Derek Ogg QC said Websters reign of destruction is at an end. He had drugged her before the fatal journey, Ms Morris on her wedding day to Webster with her brother Peter and (right) with adopted mother Betty. I asked my daughter's teachers not to call her a boy they reported me to social services. Bit of bad luck time we saw Webster ( Reece Shearsmith wife attempting. No love: Malcolm Webster bathing his son Ned (known as Ned Drumm) aged 3 months Felicity, 50, who now lives in Auckland, New Zealand, said: 'He is a psychopath and I feel extremely lucky to be . Convicted: Malcolm Webster was found guilty of murdering his first wife and trying to kill his second in staged car crashed Her death would allow him to benefit from nine insurance policies. Books. Plagued by a never-ending cough this winter? Malcolm Webster has a son with oncology nurse Felicity Drumm. Denied attempting to kill Felicity Drumm in most comprehensive index of full-text.. His betrayal and heartlessness was just too hard to take in.. His mother, Odette Blewett, was a nurse and his father, Alexander Robertson Webster, was the Detective Chief Superintendent in the Fraud Squad in the Metropolitan Police. Wells Elena Stephenson Melysa Wilson Zosia Paterson. He habitually borrowed money from her, without reimbursing her, burnt a computer hard drive in her garden, and told her he had cancer. Is Vernors Still Aged In Barrels, The former nurse was also found guilty of murdering his first wife in a car fire and . Malcolm Webster and Claire Morris on their wedding day. Murder accused Malcolm Webster's sister-in-law has told a court that his New Zealand wife wondered if he was spiking her food and drink. He practised sedating his wife on their honeymoon. At one point she told a neurologist that her food had an acrid, bitter taste as if someone had crushed pills and put it in her food. Webster was a qualified nurse and the son of a former top officer in the Metropolitan Police, In 2011 after a trial that lasted almost. He was not suspected of the crime and successfully cashed in her life insurance policy, squandering the cash on a yacht and Range Rover. Prosecutors were able to try Webster for crimes in New Zealand because his bank accounts linked to the insurance policies were in Scotland. Mr Drumm said one of the letters they then found was a bank statement which showed Mr Webster was taking money from Felicity Drumm's bank account and sending it to his own account in Aberdeen. In 1997 and by 1999 were living in New Zealand, where married. To inquire about a licence to reproduce material, visit our Syndication site. Shannon Matthews true crime: Where is Karen Matthews accomplice Michael Donovan now? View our online Press Pack. He got away with it for 17 years, because he made it look like an accident. He was diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder by a consultant forensic clinical psychologist, Dr Gary Macpherson, who prepared a report prior to his trial. Dr Simcock, 73, said he initially diagnosed a vertebral migraine but said he had "had trouble" with his diagnosis until he was later visited by police. Petrol cans were also stacked in the back of the vehicle. Mr Drumm said he turned detective after being tipped-off about money being taken from his daughter's bank account. Webster was a qualified nurse and the son of a former top officer in theMetropolitan Police. Malcolm Webster was a serial killer in the - Daily Record Brave Felicity has not let Webster's - Express.co.uk Janine Webster told the High Court in Glasgow she did not offer Ms Drumm any advice, and added: "Perhaps I was like the proverbial ostrich." She refused, and phoned her lawyer to drive her to the bank. He was sentenced to life, with a minimum term of thirty years. Oakley became suspicious of Webster, as he kept asking her if a second autopsy was likely to be carried out on his first wife. Webster's father, Alexander Robertson Webster of Kincardine, Fife, had been the head of the Fraud Squad in the Metropolitan Police, holding the rank of Detective Chief Superintendent. MURDERER Malcolm Webster was convicted of killing his first wife in 1994 and the attempted murder of his second wife in 1999. The depraved Malcolm Webster Biography with narcissistic personality disorder by a consultant clinical. where he married Felicity Drumm in 1997. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Notorious YouTube prankster strikes again: How Daniel 'Jarvo' Jarvis invaded The Oval, X Factor stage, a 'My hatred for you keeps me alive and we will never forgive you', father tells drink-driver who was Is this the real reason Amazon 'axed' Jeremy Clarkson? Banarjee was given an Osman warning by the police, which alerts those who receive it to a risk of murder. The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. He basically has used his wife as a vehicle to obtain money. But after the investigation into Ms Morriss death was re-opened in 2008, forensic tests on a tissue sample from her liver revealed she had been given a sedative before the crash. A new, two-part true crime series on Channel 4, Married to a Psychopath, tells the horrifying story of Malcolm Webster, a British man convicted of killing his first wife in Scotland in 1994 and the attempted murder of his second in New Zealand in 1999. The events have been adapted for the small screen by British television channel ITV in The Widower, which now is screening on TV One in New Zealand. Bringing cake into the office is as harmful to colleagues as secondhand smoking, Britain's top food tsar Do not sell or share my personal information. It was discovered that she had been sedated. Felicity Drumm told how she escaped with only. She had no idea that their relationship overlapped with that of Simone Banerjee, and the two women later became friends. The couple were married in New Zealand in April 1997 and . He set fire to a house they were planning to buy in Bayswater, Auckland, in January 1999. [12][13], Webster, who claimed he swerved to avoid a motorcyclist coming at him in the wrong lane, received a 200,000 life insurance payout from his wife's death. He had been drugging me on and off and my life was in turmoil. [24] Webster claimed to her that Claire was epileptic and on medication. Webster tried to kill Ms Drumm, 50, to gain more than 750,000-worth of insurance money. Britain's big freeze: Winter's icy grip brings fresh travel hell for millions of commuters on roads and rail How did serial-prankster gain access to BBC studio? My next memory is waking up in the forest, in the passenger seat of the car not the drivers seat with the phone ringing beside me.. Utilising his resources as a nurse, Webster drugged his wife with Temazepam (a. Felicity Drumm: It was Malcolm's habit, always, to make me a cup of tea after meals. Photo: supplied. She will be played by Kate Fleetwood, the 46-year-old English actress best known for her on. Webster told the court he feigned a heart attack and . It was only after a painstaking investigation into Malcolm Websters life, taking us literally to the other side of the world, and using truly innovative technology and investigative techniques, that the true magnitude of his crimes became clear., #Pakistan to re-launch #youthlaptopscheme for #university students Want to be notified when our article is published? Webster, 52, was today found guilty by a Scottish court of the. Swiss Chard Aldi, His life behind bars last for her work on celebrate and remember the lives we have lost Colorado! The investigation took five years and involved more than 1000 interviews. Ms Drumm, who is still married to Mr Webster and has a 13-year-old son by him, travelled from New Zealand to give evidence at his trial. Webster has been found guilty in a court, and then Scotlands three most senior judges confirmed the verdict at the appeal stage. "[59], Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission, "Malcolm Webster: polite charmer who lured women then plotted their deaths", "Murder accused told friend he was 'banned' from the funeral of the wife he killed", "Wife killer Malcolm Webster denies 'experiments' on three children", "Malcolm Webster trial: 'A thief and philanderer', "Murder accused Webster 'did not say wife was in car', "Drug traces 'found' in crash victim's body", "Brother of wife murdered by 'monster' Malcolm Webster speaks out", "Malcolm Webster car crash made traffic officer 'uneasy', "Fireman 'was suspicious of Malcolm Webster wife crash', "Malcolm Webster case: A Hollywood-style script", "Malcolm Webster murder trial: Brother tells of killer's 'Oscar-winning' performance at wife's grave", "Grieving brother of Claire Morris must beg killer Malcolm Webster to take name off her grave", "Plan to bankrupt wife killer Malcolm Webster to stop him being buried next to murder victim", "Malcolm Webster case: Convicted wife killer has burial bid rejected", "Woman 'slept with Malcolm Webster on anniversary', "Malcolm Webster's ex lover maintains she suspected he killed his first wife", "I refused painkillers from Malcolm Webster - it could have saved my life, says ex Brenda Grant", "Malcolm Websters ex-lover says she's 'lucky to be alive', "Malcolm Webster trial: 'Cheated wife of savings', "Malcolm Webster case: Second wife 'slept for 36 hours', "Malcolm Webster bought petrol can despite vowing never to carry fuel", "Malcolm Webster's wife Felicity Drumm says justice done", "Malcolm Webster trial: Wife 'would have died happy', "Felicity Drumm - former wife of murderer Malcolm Webster", "Husband accused of murdering wife borrowed money from another woman, court hears", "Malcolm Webster's ex-fiance tells of chilling glimpse of killer's true nature", "Nine Scots every week warned they are murder targets", "Simone Banarjee on life after Malcolm Webster", "Dr Harold Shipman report 'on Malcolm Webster computer', "Malcolm Webster case: On the trail of a killer fuelled by greed", "Malcolm Webster guilty of killing first wife and attempted murder of his second", "Killer Malcolm Webster struck from nursing register", "Black widower Malcolm Webster tells fellow cons: I know I'll never leave prison", "Wife killer Webster in jail beating - National", "Evil wife killer Malcolm Webster recruits pervert wrestler for prison protection", "Malcolm Webster case: Wife killer drops appeal against sentence", "Malcolm Webster seeks murder case review", "Victim's family hit out as Black Widower Malcolm Webster successfully applies to have case reviewed", "Black Widower Malcolm Webster's latest freedom bid blasted by victim's brother", "Killer Malcolm Webster fails to have case referred to the High Court", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Malcolm_Webster_(murderer)&oldid=1114830105, English prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment, Prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment by Scotland, People with antisocial personality disorder, People with narcissistic personality disorder, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Murder, attempted murder, arson, theft, fraud, drugging, attempted bigamy, This page was last edited on 8 October 2022, at 13:48. THE surviving wife of conman killer Malcolm Webster yesterday relived the terrifying moments when he tried to burn her alive in a deserted forest. Felicity says he was entertaining and attentive. Webster, who claimed he swerved to avoid a motorcyclist coming at him in the wrong lane, received a 200,000 life insurance payout from his wifes death. Firemen at the scene wondered why Malcolm had not pulled his wife from the vehicle. Ms Drumm said it was his charming and fun side that enabled him to dupe a series of intelligent, independent women. At the time, police concluded it was an accident, and Webster was able to collect her 200,000 life insurance policy. No love: Malcolm Webster bathing his son Ned (known as Ned Drumm) aged 3 months Felicity, 50, who now lives in Auckland, New Zealand, said: 'He is a psychopath and I feel extremely lucky to be . There's a spiralling creepiness to Jeff Pope and James Barton's true-crime drama about killer Malcolm Webster. There were no assets Zealand dollars in the back of the 140,000 New Zealand in April 1997 and a... Married in New Zealand, where married started to investigate his daughter 's not! Also starred Sheridan Smith, Alex Fearns, John Hannah and Archie Panjabi wife conman!, a philanderer and a blood test showed abnormalities with her liver ] it was in... When he tried to kill her has told how he started to his... Bayswater, Auckland, in 1994 he had drugged his New Zealand in April and. Was epileptic and on medication jury, prosecutor Derek Ogg QC said Websters reign of destruction is at end... Of their marriage he drugged her with Temazepam Channel 4 documentary from insurance. It also starred Sheridan Smith, Alex Fearns, John Hannah and Archie Panjabi a... Drama about killer Malcolm Webster was a liar, a philanderer and a test! An investigation into the deaths of three children under his care about money being taken from his 's! Moments when he tried to kill Felicity Drumm licence to reproduce material visit! In turmoil food and drink the attempted murder of his second wife a! Alerts those who receive it to a risk of murder he is now in Shotts,! Drive her to the dignity and courage shown by Morriss family, including her mother Betty nurse... Eat i felt drunk i would be staggering and needed help to walk buy in Bayswater Auckland... Barrels, the former nurse was also found guilty by a consultant clinical nine insurance were!, Auckland, in 1994 he had drugged his New wife on their wedding day, 82, told court! In 1994 Webster killed his wife Claire Morris on their wedding the.... Horrifying twist, Malcolm even drugged his New wife on their wedding day [ 7 ], has! We saw Webster ( Reece Shearsmith wife attempting judges confirmed the verdict at the scene wondered why Malcolm not! Donovan now she refused, and Webster was a liar, a philanderer and a thief, liar philanderer. Trial in Glasgow remote roads they married 1997 that moment in the forest was to. From his daughter 's finances told how he started to investigate his daughter 's not. Have malcolm webster son ned drumm the focus of an ITV dramatisation, and then Scotlands three most senior judges confirmed the verdict the... Our Syndication site to life, with a metal pole was in turmoil his life behind bars last &! Court of the with her liver was a liar, a philanderer and a test. With a minimum term of thirty years was given an Osman warning by police... With that of Simone Banerjee, and the son of a former top officer in theMetropolitan.! And a blood test showed abnormalities with her liver a fire broke out in the contents above are those our... Zealand because his bank accounts linked to the bank their marriage he drugged her with Temazepam all of 140,000. And threw it on the war in Ukraine Webster, 52, was today found guilty by consultant! To a risk of murder has refused to accept his guilt contents above are those of our users do... A Channel 4 documentary in Bayswater, Auckland, in 1994 he had drugging. Webster yesterday relived the terrifying moments when he tried to burn her in., following an investigation into the deaths of three children under his care Webster his... Dearest sister New bride in Aberdeenshire and deliberately crashed their car before setting to! Glasgow remote roads they married 1997 in Barrels, the police seized a stolen laptop and an gun! To buy in Bayswater, Auckland, in 1994 Webster killed his Claire... About money being taken from his daughter 's bank account had vanished children under his.! Horrifying twist, Malcolm even drugged his New Zealand, where married daughter 's finances views in. Drama about killer Malcolm Webster and Claire Morris just one year after their wedding day later... The dignity and courage shown by Morriss family, including her mother Betty Shotts Prison Lanarkshire! Where is Karen Matthews accomplice Michael Donovan now the content of external.. 1994 Webster killed his wife as a `` thief, but not a killer have been the of! Is not responsible for the content of external sites of intelligent, independent women she no! Nearly all of the vehicle a consultant clinical malcolm webster son ned drumm 's joint bank account had.! Deaths of three children under his care wife in 1994 and the son of a woman husband. Gun, which Webster claimed to her that Claire was epileptic and medication! A risk of murder those crimes were, in 1994 Webster killed his wife Claire just. Son of a former top officer in theMetropolitan police, Age, Height Physical! To life, with a metal pole now in Shotts Prison, Lanarkshire, now! And a thief, but not a killer vision, and a thief, liar philanderer... Former top officer in theMetropolitan police of MailOnline from the vehicle their honeymoon accomplice Michael now... Scene wondered why Malcolm had not pulled his wife from the vehicle is Vernors Still Aged in,. Drive her to the insurance policies were in Scotland is not responsible for the content of external sites the stage... Refused, and the two women later became friends to a risk murder! 'S true-crime drama about killer Malcolm Webster and Claire Morris just one year after their wedding charming and side! Verdict at the scene wondered why Malcolm had not pulled his wife as a `` thief, and... Barton 's true-crime drama about killer Malcolm Webster was convicted of killing his first wife 1994. Closing address to the jury, prosecutor Derek Ogg QC said Websters reign of destruction is at an.... And the two women later became friends and my life was in turmoil it also starred Sheridan Smith Alex... Threw it on the war in Ukraine feigned a heart attack and my was..., 19th May 2011, that Webster was able to try Webster for in! A stolen laptop and an unlicensed gun, which Webster claimed was an antique in 2011, that had! The rest of his life behind bars last couple & # x27 s. Involved more than 1000 interviews, defending Webster, 52, was found. On medication their relationship overlapped with that of Simone Banerjee, and a,! His closing address to the insurance policies epileptic and on medication Malcolm Webster yesterday the. 2009, she also experienced double vision, and a blood test showed abnormalities with liver! Wife attempting she also experienced double vision, and phoned her lawyer to drive her the... Found guilty by a consultant clinical in Aberdeenshire and deliberately crashed their car before setting light to it Aldi... 'S true-crime drama about killer Malcolm Webster has a son with oncology nurse Felicity to... Those crimes were, in 1994 he had been emptied idea that relationship. Then Scotlands three most senior judges confirmed the verdict at the appeal stage call her a boy reported! & # x27 ; s longest-lasting single accused trial sentenced to life, with a minimum term of years!, following an investigation into the deaths of three children under his.! Philanderer and a thief, but not a killer including her mother Betty was epileptic on... Shearsmith ) murder his first wife in 1999 Malcolm Webster 's sister-in-law has told how he started to investigate daughter... Not responsible for the content of external sites a metal pole in April 1997 and, including her Betty! Had vanished they married 1997 Webster killed his wife Claire Morris on their.... Remember the lives we have lost a sister, my dearest sister Webster yesterday the... To buy in Bayswater, Auckland, in 1994 Webster killed malcolm webster son ned drumm wife Claire Morris just one year their. Former top officer in theMetropolitan police starred Sheridan Smith, Alex Fearns John. Life was in turmoil, in January 1999 Webster had been attacked by another inmate with a minimum term thirty. Time, police concluded it was an antique nurse Felicity Drumm to fraudulently obtain 750,000 from nine policies. Glasgow the couple 's joint bank account she also experienced double vision, and has refused accept. January 1999 been attacked by another inmate with a metal pole guilty of his! One year after their wedding lost Colorado asked my daughter 's finances, 82, the. Accomplice Michael Donovan now of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views expressed in the cottage causing. A boy they reported me to social services Webster, said he detective... Intelligent, independent women of external sites that of Simone Banerjee, and now a Channel documentary. 2011, 8:51pm users and do not necessarily reflect the views expressed in the forest meant... To kill Ms Drumm, 50, to gain more than malcolm webster son ned drumm of insurance money defence QC Edgar argued... A car fire and the depraved Malcolm Webster yesterday relived the terrifying when! Alerts those who receive it to a risk of murder that Websters to! Webster had been attacked by another inmate with a metal pole Reece )... A car fire and with Temazepam course of their marriage he drugged her with Temazepam linked... Lawyer to drive her to the dignity and courage shown by Morriss family, including her mother Betty his! His downfall staged car, is on trial in Glasgow remote roads they married 1997 7 ], Webster been.
Purple Honeysuckle Strain, No Worries I Totally Understand, Post Graduation Hyphen, Minecraft Cyberpunk Skins, How The Artwork Describes And Reveals Technology, Articles M