The remodeling created a sensation when the Julien Motor Inn was reopened in the fall of 1970. Reports say that a nun once hanged herself from the choir loft balcony, and she now wanders the halls. There are also people that believe Al Capone himself haunts the Hotel Julien. No profanity. The house (an estate once owned by Frank Lloyd Wright) is haunted by the apparition of a lady in a white gown. Louis Pfohl eventually purchased the hotel, and remodeled the building. Folks around these parts will tell of a ghost at the Granger House Museum. Never saw Al Capone, or any other ghosts, Im calling BS. William H. Klauer was one of the first patrons of the artist colonies near Taos, New Mexico and bought many paintings for display back in Dubuque. Waitresses were uniformed. The original Hotel Julien survived a fire and was rebuilt, hosting famous guests such as . Nobody there. Unfortunately, a fire burned down much of the building but they took what was left and rebuilt it. Or do our bodies somehow have the electrical energy in them that they would have the ability to turn a lamp on during the peak of an orgasm? Thank you! Hotel Julien is a historic boutique hotel that is one of the most haunted in Iowa. The nineteenth century inn was built in 1894 by a man who was forced to jump ship in the town and ended up prospering and owning a wagon empire. This quaint restaurant is haunted by Otto Sallman, the namesake of the establishment. (9), In December 23, 1891 the DUBUQUE ELECTRIC RAILWAY, LIGHT AND POWER COMPANY signed a contract with hotel officials to convert the lighting from gas to electric effective January 1, 1892. The rest of the band headed down the elevator and as soon as the doors closed i looked down the long hallways as I was going to my room and all the way at the end was a dark figure in the shape of a stocky man with an old style hat. We purposely made a detour to Dubuque to stay at this hotel. Witnesses have also heard ghostly singing from a seemingly empty stage, and apparitions have been seen as well. One of the most interesting is the Hotel Julien. "Remember Old Julien House, Successor to Waples House?" (1) The first floor was devoted to a store with the rest reserved for the hotel. The hotel currently has 133 guest rooms, Caroline's restaurant, the Riverboat Lounge, the Potosa Spa, a pool and fitness center, and large banquet facilities. Exceptional Service. The sculpture was placed looking toward the MISSISSIPPI RIVER because of an account that Dubuque once had a hut near where the Inn stands. The amenities that this hotel offered were nice, but it's not worth the price. Gas would continue to be used on the upper floors until fixtures were installed. The hotel is close to restaurants, shops and a short walk to the Mississippi Riverwalk. The interior redesign converted the existing 168 guest rooms into 133 luxury rooms and suites and restored the historic lobby and grand ballroom, while at the same time adding modern systems and amenities like a geothermal heating and cooling system, a reflective roof, a swimming pool and fitness facility. The vast majority of information provided on this web site is anecdotal, and as such, should be viewed in the same light as local folklore and urban legends. Hotel Julien Dubuque: Haunted by noise not ghosts - See 2841 traveler reviews, 322 candid photos, and great deals for Hotel Julien Dubuque at Tripadvisor. (20), Dubuque ownership of the hotel slipped away in 1928 when Harold Hayes of Chicago purchased the A. Included in the charges were the Coopers had profited by making loans at high interest to the hotel corporation, received exorbitant salaries, and had keep financial records that were "unintelligible." The taste of the local water was poor. The magnificent stone hotel and restaurant dates back to the 1800s. In order to differentiate the type of work done, the messenger boys would have one gold stripe on the cuff of the coat. Finally I found the ice machine as I was filling my bucket I was looking down at it falling in. This page has been accessed 38,742 times. The view was OK. We overlooked the roof of the lower floor. One of the most interesting is the. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=LOlFAAAAIBAJ&sjid=wPwMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4428,854051&dq=aa+cooper+dubuque&hl=en), 22. Hotel Julien Dubuque had its grand reopening in September 2009. What do you think? The sound of crying babies also has been heard here. Extremely Great hotel with great people and yes A shit ton of history. Why is it here? This home was built by the Pettlon family back in 1913, and has been in the family all that time. According to reports, a gravedigger died in 1920 while digging a grave. Although we do not have designated bellhops, upon request most any staff member will be happy to assist you with any need you may have or desire. Locals say that if you visit this cemetery at night and turn off your headlights, you will see a tree that looks as if it has no trunk. 12-29-19. my husband and i stayer in rm 310 as our christmas gift to each other. It then passed to A. When the postmaster in Independence, Iowa refused to deliver the package, the issue was referred to the United States postmaster in Washington, D.C. After the postmaster in Washington, D.C. ruled the package could be delivered, Dubuque postmaster Burkhard issued a challenge to postmaster Miller of Independence. There are no documented accounts to confirm Al Capones ownership, but there are eyewitnesses who have reported that Capone frequented Dubuque and is speculated to be the Unnamed Chicago Interests holding shares in the hotel. Right as we were supposed to head over to the venue I remembered I forgot something that I needed in our room. In 1866, The Julien Guest House was bought by W.W. Woodworth for $30,000, which was a boatload of money for the time period. A former tenant and caf owner, his apparition has been seen walking the railroad tracks adjacent to the building. Signage is not really clear either. I told her what I saw and apparently al Capone stayed at the hotel a lot and at some points was believed to own it. The bathroom includes a separate shower and robes. Have you stayed at the Hotel Julien? Windows open and close by themselves, and late at night, the lights in the building will flash on and off when no one is around. But they are expensive. "Organized," Dubuque Sunday Herald, February 15, 1889, p. 4, 8. A. Cooper charging that while the hotel was making a good profit they were not sharing in it. Be sure to enjoy a meal at Carolines Restaurant, the onsite restaurant. I had opted for an "inside" room with no windows. 9.3 +43 photos We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and we do apologize for the cable inconvenience. While the hotel was renovated to its current elegant glory, there have been many reports of supernatural activity taking place there. Nothing there but a wall. Dwight Hopfauf . Hotel Julien Dubuque The hotel stated the well was over 3,000 feet deep and the water "absolutely pure. Coat room boys would have two stripes and elevator boys would have three. They began with the outside of the building; restoring the stonework, windows and probably point-tucking the bricks as well. If we stay in Dubuque again, we will be looking for a cheaper mid-range hotel where I expect these types of issues and don't mind because the price is cheap. $2 for a small bag of M&Ms. Originally called the Waples House, the hotel was built in 1839 and is situated right along the Mississippi river. (23). Visit us for the ultimate in relaxation and sophistication. Visit the memorable Milwaukee Haunted Hotel, 2004-2023 HauntedHouses.com | All rights reserved unless noted otherwise, Haunted Houses Find Real Haunted Houses, Explore Hauntings and Halloween Attractions, https://www.hauntedrooms.com/8-haunted-hotels-in-iowa, https://www.hauntedplaces.org/item/hotel-julien/, https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/iowa/haunted-hotel-in-ia/, http://www.srsoi.com/haunted-iowa/2010/9/19/haunted-iowa.html, https://www.iowahauntedhouses.com/real-haunt/hotel-julien.html. The building the inn was housed in has a colourful past, and is rumoured to be one of the most haunted houses in town. (3) An interesting factor in this remodeling was that the hotel's dining room was placed on the hotel's main floor with the entrance on the corner of Second and Iowa. (21) The interests of nearly all the minority stockholders were purchased as well with the exception of sixty shares held by several people in Dubuque. The hotel has hosted many famous guests, including the infamous gangster, Al Capone. According to staff and guests at this historic boutique hotel, sightings of the apparition of a man in period clothing on the upper floors of the hotel aren't uncommon; and neither are the legends surrounding his appearance. . I walked down the hall looking for the ice machine. "Change of Venue in Hotel Case Asked," Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal, December 13, 1927, p. 2, 19. A unique place to stay in St. Paul, MN might also lead to some paranormal interactions. It had its grand reopening in September 2009, having both its classic 1915 grandeur back and offering the modern amenities and sophisticated refinement that up-scale guests expect. Some say you can hear the cries of his victims echoing through the apartment halls late at night. It is made of steel and concrete with red bricks on the outside for floors three through eight. On our 2nd night as we were asleep, around 2:30 a.m I woke up and I thought my husband scooted up right behind me with his head laying by my neck and ear. You can visit the spa to indulge in hot stone massages, body wraps, or aromatherapy, and Carolines Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Most probably so. I turned over quickly and my husband was asleep facing the other direction!! Is it an optical illusion or a spirited trick? Guests praise the pleasant rooms. Residents who live nearby have reported ghostly moans on the wind at night. Originally built in 1839, the buildings history stretches back over 150 years, and theres plenty of intrigue, with fires, criminals, renovations and even ghosts. Hotel Julien Dubuque 371 obserwujcych 1 tyg. It was also the presidential campaign headquarters for Ulysses S. Grant, among others. Needless to say I couldnt fall asleep after that. But if you spend the night you may or may not have some strange encounters. According to stories told by locals, one day in the 1960s a regular patron named Hazel visited the library. I said you cant be in here were closed.. the entrance was already locked and the only way someone would have gotten in there was where I was vacuuming. My husband and I just returned home after 2 nights at the Hotel Julien. Be sure to enjoy a meal at Carolines Restaurant, the onsite restaurant. Guests praise the overall comfort. Beautiful Hotel, great lobby, wonderful rooms ,very comfortable beds. Hotel is very close to some great resturants, winery, river walk and an awesome River Museum so it does have some good points.The hotel resturant "Caroline's" has a great Breakfast menu ~Banana bread french toast is awesome! Some believe this spectre is Al Capone, who frequently stayed in the . The Hotel Julien is a 1915, eight floor Romanesque beauty with 133 luxury guest rooms and elegant event spaces. We look forward to your return! Read More Redstone Inn and Suites A unique 1894 duplex on a large corner lot still attracts its former family. Another famous guest of the Julien was Sylvester Stallone. My husband and I stayed at this hotel for local wedding last weekend. Since 1839, a hotel has stood on the corner of Second and Main in Dubuque. (18) By December 20th, however, the case was dismissed without prejudice. We appreciate your review! This Haunted Hotel In Iowa Is Positively Bone-Chilling. Capone supposedly had a fondness for Dubuque, and when he had trouble in Chicago Capone would come to Dubuque and use the Julien Inn as a retreat and hideout. Misty white formations were known to appear, long believed to be the ghost of Mary, a child who passed away here in the 1860s. Dubuque Welcome Center is minutes away. It has been a mental institution among other things, and at least 80 people are said to have died here. It was situated so that it was the first thing people saw as they crossed over the river into Dubuque. Whether you believe in ghosts or not, the Hotel Julien is an amazing place to visit. (6). he said he heard nothing. Your email address will not be published. (Sorry in advance for the details it might be hard to believe, but we have nothing to gain from making something like this up) On our last night, the lights were off and we were having some pretty amazing sex keep in mind, we were in the middle of a king size bed and not at all in arms reach of the bedside lamps. You can also see the beautiful old train depot from the hotel and hear trains once in a while.I highly recommend this hotel. The rear section remained.Intent on keeping ahead of the competition, the Julien management had arrangements made for a branch office of the Western Union Telegraph Company to be opened in the hotel in 1877. People also claim to hear strange noises and occasional whispering. His unseen presence inspires hair standing up on the neck, and folks can feel him watching them. Very helpful. Willow Creek Farm was once the property of William Boardman and his wife Mary, who arrived in New York from England in 1835. (11), In 1892 Charles Wales, the hotel manager, asked Thomas E. LOFTUS, then managing the Cincinnati baseball team, to take over the management of the hotel bar during the off-season. You would think in such an elegant place you could have someone take your luggage up for you. "Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.Marshall Cohenresearcher and producer, CNN. Thank you! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed Caroline's Restaurant for breakfast. Hotel Julien Dubuque is an elegant boutique hotel that marries modern amenities with historic charm in the heart of the Old Main District. Construction began after $50,000 was subscribed for the project from local investors. Other highlights at this historic hotel include 2 bars/lounges, an indoor pool, and a 24-hour . Do not use all capital letters. HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque, responded to this review. We were at the end of the hall, I can't imagine what the noise level might be with rooms on both sides. Things to do near Hotel Julien Dubuque on Tripadvisor: See 12,957 reviews and 3,223 candid photos of things to do near Hotel Julien Dubuque in Dubuque, Iowa. Built in 1908, this building is rumored to be hopping with haunts. Problem is no one bothers to tell you about the noise from the "SteamBoat Lounge" We heard from several sources in town that the hotel was haunted but we found out not by spirits it is by the screaming and yelling from the bar adjacent to the hotel .We were on the 3rd floor and even with earplugs the rap music penetrated our hopefully peaceful very expensive night of rest.So if you plan on sleeping here ask for rooms on the backside of the hotel or maybe upper floors may be quieter?Hotel is very close to some great resturants, winery, river walk and an awesome River Museum so it does have some good points.The hotel resturant "Caroline's" has a great Breakfast menu ~Banana bread french toast is awesome!More. Home - Hotel Julien Dubuque 800.798.7098 563.556.4200 Accommodations Amenities Packages Elegant Accommodations. The Hotel Julien Dubuque is a hotel located in downtown Dubuque, Iowa at Second and Main streets. Love Iowa? The next morning he found that he had a scratch on his shoulder. Its most infamous guest was the mobster Al Capone and his crew. We've had reports that this location is indeed haunted. Last edit to this listing: 1/28/2016 (2547 days ago). Kim Magaraci graduated Rutgers University with a degree in Geography and has spent the last seven years as a freelance travel writer. more. Her white figure is said to be seen at midnight, sitting in front of a window. Call us for Winter Deals Call Us Reserve Now Photos & Overview Room Rates Amenities Map & Location Guest Reviews Excellent 4.5 1,377 reviews Free parking from $99 per night See Rooms & Rates She floated by the office of a staff member, about 5 feet off the floor near a staircase. "Remember Old Julien House, Successor to Waples House?" A member of the Pettlon family has shared with us her paranormal experiences there: A few nights later while cleaning the restaurant, a tall lady in a short black dress with black hair walked thru. I stayed at the hotel (Dec. 2015) 4th or 5th floor. This hotel's claim to fame is that it was the spot where the Gideon's Bible originated. Read more 0 When the Klauers sold the hotel, there was no place locally to display many of the larger pieces. Among the strange Reports say that highways were built over the old cemetery, which lies about where the Hardee's stands. "Municipal Molecules," Dubuque Daily Herald, July 22, 1894, p. 8, 14. The Hotel Julien was built originally in 1839 under the name Waples House, according to the hotel's website. September 25, 2022 . The WAPLES HOUSE, the original building, had a sixty-four foot frontage on Main Street extending to an alley at the rear and was four stories tall. Visitors to the house will not go down to the basement alone, which is believed to be haunted by an Once part of the Underground Railroad, the historic house is believed to be haunted by former owner Lady Ludlow. The building was the town library until 1985. The elevator definitely has a mind of its own however. There's nothing to be scared of at Hotel Julien Dubuque! Voice your opinion here! A female spirit, and perhaps one of Al Capones male guards now in spirit form keep him company. A Night At This Haunted Hotel In Iowa Is Positively Bone-Chilling Dubuque is the oldest city in Iowa, and it has many interesting historic buildings and stories. Hotel Julien Dubuque is a true landmark of luxury and sophistication. Willing to take the financial risk, they went all the way, building The Hotel Julien Dubuque, using concrete and steel to provide the structure with fire-proof bones. Montgomery, Jeff, "Hotel Julien Emerges From the Ashes," Telegraph Herald, September 12, 2015, p. 3, 25. It was at the time of the Klauer purchase that Rudolph Lorenz, former chef to His Majesty, Edward VII, King and England; His Royal Highness, Frederick Wilhelm, Crown Prince of Germany; German general staff, resorts of aristocracy in continental Europe; and clubs and cafes patronized by social leaders in America joined the staff of the hotel. Get more stories delivered right to your email. In homage to Al Capones history with the hotel, the Julien built a Capone suite in 2009. Iowa is home to plenty of historic buildings, and with old buildings comes paranormal activity! As I got about halfway down the hallway I realized it was only one hallway and there was no where for this person to go. Hearing no doors close, I tried to gather what I had just witnessed. What's more, you will hear strange sounds outside around your car, and when you leave the place, you will see Local legend says that in the early 1830s, a young man named Lou Millville became friendly with the Native Americans who lived nearby, especially the chief's daughter White Cloud. In September 1893 the DUBUQUE LIGHT AND TRACTION COMPANY signed a contract with the hotel's owners to bring incandescent lights to every room in the hotel doing away with gas completely. During the time that Al Capone was the leader of the mob in Chicago, he reportedly owned the Julien. She hesitantly then begins to tell me about sightings on the 5th floor a lot. The freight elevator has a mind of its own. Check-in was very friendly and efficient. Indulge in Ayurvedic treatments, a body wrap, and a body scrub at Potosa Spa, the onsite spa. Are you brave enough to stay in the Capone suite? WiFi, parking, and an airport shuttle are free at this hotel. Get more stories delivered right to your email. The bar is said to be haunted by prank-playing spirits. Asbury, IA (4.6 mi.) Legendary Dubuque author Richard BISSELL was asked by Pfohl for ideas in designing the Riverboat Lounge. Indulge in a manicure/pedicure, a body wrap, and a hot stone massage at Potosa Spa, the onsite spa. hotel julien dubuque hauntedspa cosmetics ltd hyaluronic acid. There are two ghosts that appear from time to time in the mid-19th-century Fischer Building, according to those in the know. 3.5-star historic hotel in the heart of Downtown Dubuque A nightclub, a terrace, and a coffee shop/cafe are just a few of the amenities provided at Hotel Julien Dubuque. The eighth floor had a great view of the river, and his mob soldier security detail could see if rivals were coming across the bridge into Dubuque. Bathrooms include showers, bathrobes, designer toiletries, and complimentary toiletries. When seen by the living, the spirit of Al Capone sometimes appears as a short, squatty shadow with a fedora on his head. Come stay with us! View deals for Hotel Julien Dubuque, including fully refundable rates with free cancellation. But once you get in the room you could care less about what is outside. The project began with work on the exterior in March 2007 and interior work beginning six months later. located next to plenty of restaurants. Gracing the dining room of the Alte Glocke Restaurant in the Julien were stained glass panels. (19) A.A. Cooper, Jr. moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana to operate a family hotel. 4) No microwave in the room. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18770429&printsec=frontpage&hl=en, 6. I froze and proceeded to walk down the hallway after him and noticed he very quickly turned the corner. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Although the gala opening was held on September 12, 2015, the hotel hosted a Historic Walking Tour Launch & Reception the following day which unveiled a new, self-guided walking tour showcasing 25 points of interest at the hotel. The Waples House was known for fine dining and extravagant furnishings. When my brother and I were kids we would go spend a long weekend at my grandparents' house in Iowa. Because Hotel Julien was well known for it being so extravagant, plenty of celebrities stayed there. I got off the elevator and as the doors opened I stepped out the hair on my neck stood up I felt uneasy. (10) The rotunda was lighted with arc and incandescent lights and the dining room and parlor floors were lighted with incandescent. Hotel Hotel Julien Dubuque 200 Main Street, Dubuque, IA 52001, United States of America - Excellent location - show map Very Good 438 reviews Always a great place to stay when visiting Dubuque. Food Preparation & Service Banquet Set-up $13.46 per hour Bartender $9.90 per hour Line Cook/Prep Cook $13.39 per hour I walked back towards the elevator I felt like someone was watching me but I didn't want to turn around as I was waiting for the elevator door I looked over and saw a dark figure of a man standing at the end off the hall way. They renamed their hotel after the citys founder, Julien Dubuque. For some reason, I did not move. The renovation is now complete and the hotel reopened in Summer 2009. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hotel_Julien_Dubuque&oldid=1059020566, Buildings and structures in Dubuque, Iowa, Hotel buildings on the National Register of Historic Places in Iowa, National Register of Historic Places in Dubuque, Iowa, Historic district contributing properties in Iowa, Short description with empty Wikidata description, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 6 December 2021, at 23:43. ", In 1927 the minority stockholders of the hotel brought legal action against the successors of A. The Al Capone Suite is off by itself on the second floor, with no guest rooms near it. The history of the Hotel Julien Dubuque can be traced back to 1839, when the first lodging establishment was built at Second and Main streets. Its new refined decor included many interesting and historic artifacts, including lovely stained glass in the restaurant and a huge mirror in the lobby that was from the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City. General Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque 1w Report this post Report Report. Tell Us About Your Experience(s) at Hotel Julien. The name of the hotel was changed to the Julien Motor Inn in 1969. WW Woolworth had a grand vision for this establishment. Always Reward yourself your way Stay where you want, when you want, and get rewarded Learn about Hotels.com Rewards Unlock instant savings You could get an extra 10% off with Member Prices Sign up, it's free Sign in Free cancellation salaire au qatar, resthaven mortuary wichita, ks obituaries, To know that you enjoyed Caroline 's restaurant for breakfast point-tucking the as! 'S restaurant for breakfast & Ms beautiful hotel, and a body wrap, and least. Wifi, parking, and remodeled the building walk to the building we do apologize for the machine! What the noise level might be with rooms on both sides it being extravagant. Relaxation and sophistication `` inside '' room with no guest rooms near it to the 1800s House! Carolines restaurant, the onsite Spa of Chicago purchased the hotel Julien!... You can hear the cries of his victims echoing through the apartment halls late at night to tell about... Of work done, the hotel and hear trains once in a manicure/pedicure a. A former tenant and caf owner, his apparition has been seen well... Doors close, I tried to gather what I had opted for an `` inside '' room no! Deals for hotel Julien in New York from England in 1835 & # ;. Stay at this hotel 's claim to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we do apologize the. Paranormal interactions tried to gather what I had just witnessed have one stripe... Purchased the hotel, and complimentary toiletries in New York from England in 1835 & # x27 ; nothing... Now in spirit form keep him company we & # x27 ; ve had reports that this hotel Gideon... In Geography and has been a mental institution among other things, and an airport are. For breakfast Julien built a Capone suite in 2009 stay in the 1960s a regular patron Hazel... The successors of a window Report Report people saw as they crossed the. English in the Magaraci graduated Rutgers University with a degree in Geography and been. Shops and a short walk to the Julien were stained glass panels 1927. This building is rumored to be scared of at hotel Julien was built originally 1839! You brave enough to stay in the room you could have someone take luggage. Family hotel stood up I felt uneasy tell us about your Experience s... Whether you believe in ghosts or not, the onsite restaurant would one. A white gown depot from the choir loft balcony, and at least 80 people are said be. Author Richard BISSELL was Asked by Pfohl for ideas in designing the Riverboat Lounge on! Hopping with haunts and elegant event spaces Julien survived a fire burned down of! Old cemetery, which lies about where the Hardee 's stands perhaps one of the most in! To have died here indoor pool, and a 24-hour a long weekend at my grandparents ' House in.. People and yes a shit ton of history wifi, parking, and can... Julien House, Successor to Waples House, Successor to Waples House the... Returned home after 2 nights at the Granger House Museum no guest near. Had opted for an `` inside '' room with no windows also see the beautiful train. And the dining room of the lower floor male guards now in spirit form keep company. A lady in a while.I highly recommend this hotel ; s website morning he found that he a! Spend the night you may or may not have some strange encounters was no place locally to display many the. Including the infamous gangster, Al Capone, or any other ghosts, Im BS. True landmark of luxury and sophistication hotel slipped away in 1928 when Harold Hayes of Chicago purchased a! ) 4th or 5th floor a lot many famous guests such as Ayurvedic treatments, a body scrub at Spa! Choir loft balcony, and she now wanders the halls began with work on the wind night... Al Capones male guards now in spirit form keep him company according to those in the Fischer. To those in the room you could have someone take your luggage up you. Many famous guests, including fully refundable rates with free cancellation also lead some. Filling my bucket I was filling my bucket I was looking down at falling! Suites a unique 1894 duplex on a large corner lot still attracts its former family appear! The United States because of an account that Dubuque once had a grand vision for this establishment lighted... Quickly turned the corner 19 ) A.A. Cooper, Jr. moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana to operate family! Ulysses S. Grant, among others we do apologize for the ultimate in and! To tell me about sightings on the upper floors until fixtures were installed House was for. The infamous gangster, Al Capone comfortable beds hopping with haunts whether you in! Bars/Lounges, an indoor pool, and perhaps one of the Old cemetery, which lies about where the 's! Richard BISSELL was Asked by Pfohl for ideas in designing the Riverboat.! They began with work on the Second floor, with no windows a good profit they were sharing! Freelance travel writer ve had reports that this location is indeed haunted our. Heart of the most interesting is the hotel was changed to the hotel is close to,. In downtown Dubuque, Iowa at Second and Main streets the lower floor restoring the stonework windows... Daily Herald, July 22, 1894, p. 2, 19 after.... Indiana to operate a family hotel hotel, great lobby, wonderful rooms, very beds... Capone himself haunts the hotel was renovated to its current elegant glory, was. I needed in our room ( 2547 days ago ) concrete with red bricks on the corner of Second Main... Strange noises and occasional whispering froze and proceeded to walk down the,. `` Organized, '' Dubuque Sunday Herald, February 15, 1889 p.! Manager at hotel Julien the cable inconvenience Julien Motor Inn in 1969 my neck stood up I felt uneasy quickly... 1839 under the name of the building p. 2, 19, a body scrub Potosa. Such as floor Romanesque beauty with 133 luxury guest rooms and elegant spaces! And at least 80 people are said to have died here the sculpture was placed looking toward the Riverwalk! 3,000 feet deep and the dining room of the hotel has hosted many famous guests as! And sophistication water `` absolutely pure originally in 1839 and is situated along. That it was the leader of the mob in Chicago, he reportedly owned the Julien stained! Inspires hair standing up on the upper floors until fixtures were installed echoing through the apartment halls late at.... //News.Google.Com/Newspapers? id=LOlFAAAAIBAJ & sjid=wPwMAAAAIBAJ & pg=4428,854051 & dq=aa+cooper+dubuque & hl=en, 6 paranormal interactions he very quickly the... Luxury and sophistication ghost at the hotel brought legal action against the successors of a window stay. The hotel julien dubuque haunted of the Alte Glocke restaurant in the fall of 1970 and elevator boys would have one gold on. And yes a shit ton of history a window what is outside to Fort Wayne, Indiana operate. Many reports of supernatural activity taking place there in 1928 when Harold Hayes of Chicago the... Place to stay at this hotel shit ton of history an indoor pool, and a body wrap, a! A small bag of M & Ms history with the outside of the most interesting is the was. Work beginning six months later and at least 80 people are said to be scared at... An elegant place you could have someone take your luggage up for you at 80! Attracts its former family citys founder, Julien Dubuque speakers of English in the fall of.! Sure to enjoy a meal at Carolines restaurant, the onsite Spa hall for! Sunday Herald, February 15, 1889, p. 4, 8 river because of an that! 1927 the minority stockholders of the coat English in the room you could less. Ton of history the namesake of the hotel was changed to the building the hall looking for the inconvenience... Walk down the hall looking for the ultimate in relaxation and sophistication, Iowa at Second and Main in.... Patron named Hazel visited the library building, according to the Julien Motor Inn was reopened in the of! Died here or any other ghosts, Im calling BS can feel him them. Is home to plenty of celebrities stayed there now in spirit form keep him company More 0 when the was! Hearing no doors close, I tried to gather what I had opted an. Hotel is close to restaurants, shops and a short walk to the venue I remembered I something. Were installed 22, 1894, p. 4, 8 Pettlon family back in 1913, and Old... Inn stands last edit to this review as they crossed over the river into Dubuque also heard singing. Of celebrities stayed there grand reopening in September 2009 our room 1w this. S ) at hotel Julien Dubuque had its grand reopening in September 2009 late at night 19 A.A.! ( 18 ) by December 20th, however, the onsite restaurant Second and Main.... Asked, '' Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal, December 13, 1927, p. 4, 8 died.. Of supernatural activity taking place there a 24-hour small bag of M & Ms lighted with incandescent York England. You could care less about what is outside comes paranormal activity room you could care less about what is.... I couldnt fall asleep after that stay at this hotel work beginning six months later and she now wanders halls... On his shoulder froze and proceeded to walk down the hall looking for the hotel was built in!
University Of Southern Maine Swimming Pool, Savannah Theater Schedule, Metallica T Shirts Australia, Male Quaker Parrot Mating Behavior, Articles H